Thank you for your interest in applying for the MSW program at the Columbia School of Social Work. We are the oldest and most renowned social work institution, and one of only two Ivy League schools of social work in the nation.
To find out more about our innovative curriculum, field education, online campus. student support services, and other program features, check out the student experience .
Ready to apply? Our application portal will reopen in August. Request more information here.
Here to Help
Our expert enrollment staff will help you through each step of the MSW degree admissions process, from exploring the right program for you to completing the application process to connecting you with resources for answering any questions. Request information.
Contact us any time. We can arrange for you to sit in on a class during the spring semester from February to April. consult with a faculty member, and/or meet with a student ambassador, field education advisor, admissions counselor, or financial aid administrator. We also recommend you attend one of our on campus information sessions or meet one of our admissions representatives when they are in a city near you .
Apply to CSSW: 7 Recommended Steps
- Discover how our school defines social work.
- Explore the range of careers you can pursue with a masters in social work degree.
- Understand the process of earning an MSW.
- Confer with current and former students about their field education experiences.
- Meet our faculty, among the most distinguished scholars and practitioners in the nation.
- Acquaint yourself with our student life.
- Learn how to apply.
At a minimum, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- B.A. or B.S. degree from an accredited college or university, which includes 60 semester hours or credits in the liberal arts.
- Academic record suggesting the ability to do graduate-level work.
- Serious commitment to the profession of social work and the capacity to meet the demands of professional training, often demonstrated by internships and life experiences.
- TOEFL: (combined score) 98; IELTS: 7.0
Note: Our MSW program does not require GRE scores.
- Complete the MSW application form online .
- Submit a resume/CV (three pages maximum).
- Acquire three letters of reference.
- Request and submit academic transcripts from schools where you have earned 12 or more credits.
- Prepare for a Skype interviews (international applicants only).
- Pay application fee: US$75
Costs & Financial Aid
The cost of attendance for our New York City campus consists of tuition and fees plus living and personal expenses. Go to 2017-2018 Cost of Attendance .
As a student on our online campus. your tuition will be calculated per credit. In addition to tuition, you will be charged a $200/term Learning Resource Fee. Living and personal expenses will vary by student. Go to 2017–2018 Cost of Attendance, Online Campus .
The School is committed to working with every student who qualifies for admission to make it possible to attend. Students may be considered for need-based institutional scholarships and/or federal aid by submitting the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA). The staff in our Office of Financial Aid work very hard to assist students with navigating this process and making students aware of their funding options.
Columbia School of Social Work has been a leader in social work education and research since 1898. It joins rigorous academic theory with real-world practice to enhance the welfare of citizens and communities in New York City, the nation and around the world.
Columbia School of Social Work
1255 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY
Go to map and directions