These pages hope to provide tools to assist people in learning and using the beautiful Chinese language. From the novice Chinese language student to the advanced programmer, I hope there is something here for everyone. Rather than being a Chinese language course, it provides tools to people who are already studying and using Chinese. Please check out the DimSum Chinese Reading Assistant. Character Flashcards. the Chinese/English dictionary. the Chinese Namer. and the Western/Chinese Calendar Converter.
Tools for Learning Chinese
- Chinese Text Annotator
Break a text into words and add links to dictionary entries.
Tools for Using Chinese
- Chinese Encoding Converter
A Java applet that converts files between GB, GBK, Big5, UTF-8, UCS2, and CNS.
- Convert HTML Escapes to Bytes
Convert a Chinese file saved with HTML ampersand escape sequences back into the original encoding.
- Convert Web Documents between GB, Big5, Unicode, etc.
Type in the web address of a page in any Chinese encoding (traditional or simplified characters) and have it come up in any other encoding.
China Reference Tools
- Chinese Numbers
Description of Chinese number system and a converter from English numbers to Chinese numbers.
- East Asian Currency Converter
Convert between US Dollar amounts and 6 East Asian currencies
- DimSum: Chinese Tools for All
The project to produce a stand-alone version of this web site’s tools.
- Chinese Encoding Detector
Perl5 code to determine the most likely Chinese encoding for a given text string.
- HTML Escapes to Byte Converter
Convert the ampersand escape sequences that many HTML editors save GB and Big5 as back into GB or Big5 (or any other eight-bit encoding).
- Word97 Chinese Input Macro
A free macro to input Chinese into Word97 documents without a separate Chinese sytem.
- Chinese Digit Counter
A perl script that I wrote to create the counter below.
- Zhuyin Macro
A Word97 Macro that converts pinyin next to a character into Zhuyin (i.e. BoPoMoFo) or moves the pinyin underneath the character.
- Java GB/Big5/Unicode Converter
Stand-alone program to convert text documents between GB, HZ, Big5, Unicode, EUC-TW, etc. Needs Java.
- Chinese GIF Collection
Archive of 15,000 character GIFs indexed by their Unicode value.
Have suggestions for a tool you’d like to see here? Found a bug that needs fixing? You can reach me through my contact page. In your message, please include the type of operating system you are running (Windows 95, Macintosh, Unix, etc.), the browser you are using (Netscape Navigator, Internet Explorer, etc.), and the browser version (2, 3, 4 or 5).
For general Chinese resources. including information about reading and writing Chinese on computers, please visit my Chinese Links page or the frequently asked questions page.
Other Chinese/Java and Chinese Tools Links
- Ochlocrat’s Learn Mandarin page: Several useful applets and applications for making Chinese GIF files, painting Chinese in applications, etc. Also a section using Voice of America Chinese broadcasts to study Mandarin.
- Hanzi Quiz
- Cool Flash Animation for learning characters
- Chinese Composition Tool. A web that allows you to compose Chinese without installing any input methods.
Credits and Sources
This page has drawn upon quite a few different public-domain Chinese resources and would not have been possible without them.
- UNIHAN.TXT. A marvelous collection of Han character information available at the Unicode Consortium. Search UniHan
- Create Chinese GIF’s program from Ocrat.com. Used by the flashcard and character dictionary.
- Data files from IFCSS ‘s software data directory.
- Frequency of Usage and Number of Strokes of Chinese Characters
- CEDICT. A public-domain Chinese-English dictionary.
You are honored guest number
to visit this site since October 1, 1996.