Connect with Us
Have questions? Join us on “live chat” online now! One of our advisors will be happy to assist you and respond to your questions.
Please visit our interactive web blog. Here you will find frequently added information on our programs, articles and news by practice specialty, and much more. Register and become a part of our professional health care community.
Spiritual Counseling Certification
Dedicated to Continued Learning, Growth, and Achievement in Health Care Practice
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. offers a comprehensive, quality, Certification program for qualified applicants, in Spiritual Counseling.
The objectives of the Spiritual Counseling Certification Program are:
- Provide a high quality program of Certification for those who are qualified and called to the practice of Spiritual Counseling and Care.
- Develop and support high standards of education and practice requirements for the attainment of certification.
- Provide a mechanism for the ongoing involvement of a peer advisory board of qualified professionals to oversee program development and requirements for certification.
- Provide society with a mechanism to ascertain the appropriate education, skills, knowledge and experience required by professionals who offer such services.
- Establish quality standards and requirements for the re-certification of its credentialed members, attesting to ongoing education and skill attainment in the practice specialty of Spiritual Counseling.
- Provide a comprehensive program of approvals for continuing education, seminars, offerings, independent study, and other related educational activities, to ensure high quality standards are met and that such programs are of value to those practicing Spiritual Counseling.
Spiritual Counseling Certification
- Completion of an official, established education program to prepare individuals for the practice of Spiritual Counseling. Educational programs must have provided a minimum of 320 hours of lecture/study. Candidates for certification must present valid evidence of successful completion of such program. Candidates whose can demonstrate evidence of successful completion of such programs within a five (5) year period prior to the date of application for certification, are eligible to receive certification as a Spiritual Counselor. Such programs may include university and college based courses, continuing education seminars, retreats, and distance learning programs, etc. AIHCP offers a full online program of continuing education courses, that when successfully completed, meet the education requirements for application for Certification as a Certified Spiritual Counselor. Access information here. This curriculum is more broad-based without a specific religion focus.
- Certification Christian Option: the AIHCP also offers a full CE education curriculum in Spiritual Counseling with a Christian Focus. Candidates for Certification may chose this option instead of the CE curriculum that does not have a Christian or specific religion focus. Access information here .
Prerequisite to enrolling in the Spiritual Counseling continuing education programs: registrants must meet at least one of the following; 1.) a registered nurse currently licensed to practice nursing, 2). a licensed social worker, 3). a health care licensed professional, 4). a health care provider with a minimum of an associate degree, 5). a licensed counselor or psychologist, 6). holds a bachelor s degree or higher in psychology, human services, or other health related field, 7). works in health care chaplain ministry under the direction of a pastoral chaplain/clergy, 8). is in current practice as a minister (licensed/ordained) or is a crisis counselor 9). is a certified addictions counselor, or 10). is currently certified in grief counseling, stress management consulting, or pastoral thanatology.
Certification Identification Credentials
Those applicants who become certified by the AIHCP in Spiritual Counseling may use the initials/credential SC-C. after their names: Spiritual Counselor, Certified
The Certification Process:
We have a dedicated page that provides a quick over-view of our certification process. It will provide you with good information about the process/phases of both the education courses and application for certification. Click here to access.
Certification Option: Christian Focus
Those applicants who become certified by the AIHCP in Spiritual Counseling and complete the CE education curriculum for Spiritual Counseling with a Christian Focus, may use the initials/credential SCC-C after their names. Spiritual Christian Counselor, Certified
To preview the Spiritual Christian Counseling CE Education Program: click here .
All certifications shall be for a period of 4 years from the date that the initial certification.
Certified members may receive re-certification at the expiration of their four year term by:
- Obtaining 50 or more hours of continuing education within the four year period of certification. Click here to view the Criteria for Re-Certification.
Those applicants who have successfully achieved certification, or re-certification receive a large size official Certificate attesting to certification, as well as an official letter of notification. The certificate is suitable for framing and details the official professional certification title, initials that may be used, and time frames for certification. Those re-certifying receive a new, updated certificate. Wallet size identification cards of certification are also presented.
- The certification fee for Spiritual Counseling is $200.00 for the four year term of certification. Payment in full is due at the time of application. If an applicant does not meet certification criteria, the application fee is refunded. A completed application must be mailed in to the with full payment to be considered for certification. Applications are available on this website.
- Application for re-certification is $200.00 for the next four year period. This is a one time payment and is required in full at the time of application for re-certification. A completed application must accompany the payment.
- Major credit cards are accepted. Check and money orders are to be payable to: The American Institute of Healthcare Professionals .
Education Programs for Re-Certification
Applicants may obtain education hours by completion of any type of formal program in specifically related to spiritual counseling, spiritual practices and spiritual care. Such programs include:
- University/College Programs and Courses
- Continuing Education Courses
- Distance Learning Programs
- Self-Study Programs that award CE credits
- Courses offered by Professional Associations
The AIHCP reserves the right to approve all such courses for consideration toward re-certification. For any courses to be considered, applicants must submit copies of all certificates of completion or transcripts verifying completion. Applicants who are using their degrees to meet partial fulfillment of the education requirements for certification must have official transcripts submitted from their University or College, directly to the AIHCP.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, provides a Fellowship Program for its certified members in Spiritual Counseling. Access Information .
Click here for our the Code of Ethics for Certified Members.
Click here to view the Criteria for Re-Certification.
Click here to view education programs that are approved by the AIHCP for Spiritual Counseling.
Click here to request more information.
Click here for the online application. Please print application and postal mail.
Footer Contact Info