Welcome. The UIS Student Insurance Plan is an affordable, high-quality insurance program, designed to meet the needs of our students. Any student taking ANY on campus or blended classes is automatically enrolled in student insurance and assessed a fee each semester, with optional coverage for dependents.
Please be aware that if you already have insurance through another provider, you must complete a waiver. Please see the waiver section below for more details.
Please Note: Students enrolled in only online courses are not eligible for student insurance. The only exception is during the summer term when students who were assessed the student insurance plan during the previous spring semester are allowed to ‘continue’ their coverage even if enrolled only online for summer, or if not taking any courses for summer. To continue their coverage these students must use a separate form, and make payment to the university cashier, as the insurance cannot be automatically assessed to their student account. The office of Student Insurance maintains this form, and posts it only during appropriate times.
Please visit uis.myahpcare.com to see the brochure for detailed information about the student insurance plan or to look for in-network providers.
Spring 2016 Student Insurance coverage will begin 1/10/2016 .
If you did not file a waiver in Fall 2015, but intend to file a Waiver to opt out of the Student Insurance for Spring and Summer 2016, please be advised that the online Waiver will become available the second or third week of January, 2016.
The Office of Student Insurance will publicize the Waiver opening date to campus via several emails beginning on the date of availability, and continuing through the posted Waiver deadline date of 2/28/2016.
Remember that any successfully approved Waiver submitted in the Fall 2015 term will carry through the entire Academic Year, which culminates August 15, 2016.
Online Insurance Waiver Process:
- Have insurance card and school ID# (Banner UIN) ready, and follow on-screen instructions to complete the waiver.
- Use link below to access Academic HealthPlans and click waive online in the Enrollment column
- Enter your Banner UIN as the Student ID information, using your Birthdate as the Password, format MMDDYYYY .
- A clear photo upload of your insurance card FRONT and BACK is required in order to process and approve your waiver. Waivers submitted missing this key component of data will be denied .
- A confirmation email indicating that your waiver has been received by Academic Health Plans will be sent to you. If any additional information is required in order for Academic Health Plans to process or approve your waiver, they will let you know by email. Please take note of this and do not ignore correspondence from Academic Health Plans or Student Insurance!
Students completing the waiver process are required to provide documentation of insurance coverage to verify waiver eligibility. For more information on how to complete this process, please use the following resource: Attaching Electronic Copies of Insurance Documents to the Waiver Form .
Student Health Insurance Fees per semester for the 2015-2016 School Year
Fall Semester (August 16th, 2015 through January 9th, 2016) $495