#military car insurance
Auto Insurance for Veterans
If you are a veteran, it is always worth asking for and/or researching for discounts on auto insurance when you are looking to renew your policy or shop around. Often, being a veteran will get you a discount because, statistically, you are safe, responsible, law-abiding and, in many cases, have a steady source of retirement income assuring your insurance company of reliable monthly premium payments. While it is likely that you will be able to get a discount, do not assume it is readily waiting for you and do some research to be sure you will get the best policy to suit your needs.
Here are a few things to consider:
Searching for quotes on the internet can save you time and confusion because you can get several quotes from one website. It is often easier to keep track of information on the computer than trying to remember different conversations and prices quoted by phone unless you keep extensive notes. Also, sometimes the friendliest agents, though they are great to talk to, do not have the best deals to offer you.
Remember that this is not all about the discount. You still need the best coverage you can get for the best price. So do your research and ask about the terms on the policy, their maximum payouts, etc.
Even if you are eligible for a discount as a veteran, you still need a good driving record to get a good rate. If you are over the age of 55, taking a driving course can also improve your rates. Other factors that may lower your rates and put you into a lower risk category are:
• Non-smoker Non-smokers represent a lower risk driving and often can get a discount for that
• Carpooling Not everyone will offer a discount for this but it never hurts to ask
• Low annual miles driven Lower mileage means you are out on the road less and thus, safer.
• Extensive driving experience The more you drive, the more you know and can act on safe driving habits.
• Anti-theft devices like wheel locks, alarm systems and ignition protection devices Any of these devices can help deter or prevent theft which means they are good for you and your rates.
• Combining car and home insurance on your policy Most companies offer discounts for more of your business. This is always worth considering
• Putting multiple vehicles on your policy Again, the more business you give your insurance company, the more willing they are to give you a break on rates.
So, while many of the rules for getting good rates on car insurance apply to you, just like they do to everyone, you can also benefit from asking about getting a discount because you are a veteran. There are many companies who are experienced in dealing with military service members, so checking around and talking to them can get you great service and good rates on your premium as well.